Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Inspiration: It's Everywhere

These are some things that inspire my writing.


Reading

Reading and writing are inextricably linked for me

New books are always being written, thankfully. I am constantly amazed and gratified about how many books there are available in the English language. I feel happiest when I have at least 3 or 4 books in my queue that I am really excited about reading.

Sometimes reading a really great book will inspire my writing intensely.


Travel

Different locations are always inspiring. I love travel, and I love to put my characters into new situations and new landscapes. It's always interesting when they come across something they've never experienced. What will they do? They don't know, and neither do I most of the time!

From the oceans off the west coast of the U.S.A.... 

...to the red southwestern deserts...
...to the verdancy of the east...
...to the grandeur of old European cities, it's all inspiration for me.

After a childhood and early adulthood of no travel, over the last several years I have been lucky enough to have traveled quite a bit. Whenever I do, I keep a part of my mind aware and open for inspiration. It could be anything, from a building with interesting architecture, to someone with an interesting personality, to a grand landscape. Anything is fodder for me.


Fellow Book Lovers

Fellow book lovers unite!

Every time I can talk with someone about books (either virtually or in person) I feel great inspiration. There's nothing like finding a fellow book lover whose life is informed and enriched by fiction.


For me, inspiration can be found anywhere. These are three of my favorites. I'd love to hear about yours.

4 comments:

  1. I guess I like writing because reading has always been an essential part of my life. Therefore, my inspiration must be linked to the desire of one day having a positive effect on someone, anyone, just as my favourite authors have had on me. Otherwise, I don't walk around with a notebook where I jot down feelings or describe landscapes or random situations - I wish I did! I also wish I were self-disciplined enough to write on a regular basis. I'm embarrassed to say that I've been relying on people challenging and egging me on: 'write a story for someone who's afraid of...' And I do it, no problem. I think about the topic, read about the phobia or whatever the subject is about and I sleep on it. Before I actually sit down and write something I've already come up with many possible storylines, scenarios, etc...Next, I write the first draft on a piece of paper (which I'd never show anyone out of sheer embarrassment) and as I type it onto the word processor I'm actually rewriting and editing the story. Then I make some more changes until reason tells me it's time to stop. So I stop. In short, and in answer to your question, once I have a writing topic (or challenge) I read non-fiction books/articles in some way related to the topic and rely on the power of thought and, especially, dreams, where I can have as many takes as I need. It seems your post also triggered my need to write, so thank you, Danielle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your comment! You totally know what kind of writer you are in regards to inspiration. Having a good community helps, and it sounds like you have that.

      Dreams are also important to me, I get a lot of ideas from the twilight time between sleep and wakefulness.

      Happy writing!

      Delete
  2. I loved writing long before I fell in love with reading, and travel has been a huge inspiration. That and learning any new subject. But there is no education like traveling. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I completely agree. There's a huge creative boost I get when researching any new subject.

      That's so interesting that you fell in love with writing first!

      Travel is one of the great creative fonts, no matter what the art form.

      Happy writing!

      Delete